Monday, April 13, 2015

Susan Steward 


1) "The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale."

















2) "Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience."

I think this is true in many ways, we cary experiences and memories in objects whether they are supposed to serve that purpose or not. Objects hold a lot of sentiments no matter what they are. I like to keep perfume bottles from people in my family or my own, because they remind me of a time when I wore that particular perfume, or they remind me of a person. The bottle is significant because it reminds me of my experiences and memories. 


3) "The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three-dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body."














4) "Nostalgia cannot be obtained without loss."  

As I child I moved from place to place brining memories from different cultures, growing up with, and meeting people from different cultures. I loved this experience it brought me great memories and important experiences but it also comes with loss because each time I moved, I lost something as well as gained something. 

5) "To have a souvenir of the exotic is to posses a specimen and a trophy."

We hold on to souvenirs tightly because they remind us of a place that is new, and exciting to us, we carry it as a trophy to remind ourselves that we visited somewhere special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment