Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Janine Antoni Video - Personal Response 


I enjoyed learning about Janine Antoni, her words and work are very inspiring. I like the way the video begins with the idea of the umbilical cord and how it connects two things together, the idea that her life is a rope connecting all the people, this idea really struck me. I love how she talks about these materials as different peoples lives coming together. Saving the story behind how something was made. I found it interesting how she emphasizes the idea of using her whole body in order to create her art work I haven't experienced many artists like this, I think she brings up an important point about creating art with the whole body. She has a strong relationship with her art, connecting her body with the art. She is involved in it rather than just creating it, she steps into the art rather than just sitting outside making it. Her voice is very inspiring and important in understanding her art. She expresses this even deeper when she creates a mold of herself in chocolate and soap, again she steps into her art she becomes a part of it which is a concept that I haven't experienced as much or liked as much as her work. Going back to the beginning of the video, her idea of an umbilical cord connecting two things together she does this with her art connecting it to herself, she is bound within it. Her soap mold's reflect perfectly how we deal with the idea of self, she explains she is slowly erasing herself through washing with the soap. Our internal conflict the, "love hate relationship with our physical appearance" This is a powerful idea and one which to me is quite truthful in our society today, we do have a love hate relationship with our physical appearance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment