Monday, June 29, 2015

 Collection Sculpture 

Cornelia Parker - Thirty pieces of silver 



  • Elements and Principles - Space, negative space, symmetry, reflection 
  • Reminds me of childhood tea parties or a strange Alice in Wonderland type tea party, everything has been strung perfectly in line but you can barely see where, this idea really fascinates me
  • Artist Statement - Parkers work deals with themes of destruction, metamorphosis and space between objects in the world 

Damian Ortega 


  • Elements and Principles - Space, line, shape, negative space
  • This piece is so busy and loud it has so much energy yet it is also silenced motion. It is an interesting tangled mess but it has order. organized mess. 
  • Artist Statement - This artist is from Mexico city but lives in Berlin. He uses the urban landscape of Berlin as major influence on his work however things he uses in his work are often staples of Mexican life. 

Karen Rosenberg 


  • Elements and principles - Space, shape, negative space, color, symmetry, repetition, scale
  • a simple yet interesting idea the gold and off white compliment each other well directing your eye along the piece 
  • Artist Statement- Inspired by Buddhism
Reflection - 

My collection again focusses on the importance of the material, string and thread are used to wrap and stretch across the diameter of the circle. I wanted repetition of the same object but I also wanted to combine it with a slight differentiation between the rings. I wanted to use white because color is never an important factor in my work, I think white and black are simple yet bold enough to stand without color or with minimal color but color is never my main element. Thread along the string are glass beads which are important in reflecting light and leaving a glowing reflection of the wall. I used line and negative space within a controlled circle. I wanted the beads to create shadow and reflect light. 














No comments:

Post a Comment