Thursday, May 21, 2015

Container Sculpture 

Rebecca Hutchinson

 
  • Elements and Principles - Shape, negative space, organic shape, line, scale, space, texture
  • Looks and reminds of of fishing wire or lobster cages something weathered by the ocean.
  • Artist Statement - Hutchinson has an interest in both human world and natural world, her work is very organic, some pieces are influenced by observing plant growth and ecosystems. 

Sue Walker

 
  • Elements and Principles - Rectangular line, symmetry, scale, texture 
  • The stitching inspired me because it is very irregular and unfinished looking and it goes well together with the black ink prints
  • Artist statement -This artist mostly works with sitting printmaking, and photography 

Rickie Wolfe

  • Elements and Principles - Organic shape, color, texture, space, negative space
  • The use of wire with fabric is an interesting concept to me, how it creates these organic shapes with it creating an beautiful shadow.
  • Artist Statement - Wolfe explains that he is drawn to the tension between the raw metal and the delicate elements; fragile yet strong. 



Web of gold - 

This work begins with a fascination in the materials used. Thread is a simple yet interesting material to work with, it can be manipulated in many different ways and it can also have a mind of itself running in directions you don't always not intend. I wanted to use a combination of this thin delicate material with the strength of the metal nails to create something thick, layered and strong. My interest came from the research that I initially started with. Thread and string can be used and manipulated in a variety of different ways its used to stitch things back together, to bind things, to wrap things up. All these actions require movement and involve using your hands, these actions became very important to me by the soothing and rhythmic action of placing the thread between each nail and stretching it across to reach the next. This movement and rhythm are as much important with the piece than the final product. I chose to use black as my primary color because I wanted it to be simple and bold against the white wall. I used a small amount of gold thread to highlight certain aspects of the work, mainly I wanted it to be very minimal and only thread it around the eye of each piece which are the middle circles. These circles are important and are a common theme in my work. Circles are important in my work representing the whole, the infinity of things and the perfect unifying shape. They correspond to the importance of movement in creating my work the shape is a gestural shape, yet it is geometric, chaos and order. 















No comments:

Post a Comment